At 11:59 pm 1 January (tonight), Victoria will close its borders to New South Wales.
If you are in Greater Sydney, the Northern Beaches or the Central Coast Blue Mountains City Council or the Wollongong City Council, you are unable to enter Victoria without an exemption letter.
If you are in a Green Zone of NSW (any other part of NSW), you have until 11:59 pm 1 January (tonight) to return to Victoria. You then must get tested and self-isolate for 14 days.  After 11:59 pm 1 January, you will not be able to re-enter Victoria until further notice.
When returning before 11:59 pm tonight, you will require a Green Zone permit; they can be accessed here. Authorised Officers will continue to monitor arrivals at airports, and Victoria Police officers will continue to guard Victoria’s borders.
So the message for all Victorians wanting to return from NSW:

  • This needs to be done by 11:59 pm on 1 January (tonight)
  • You will need a Green Zone permit
  • You will need to get tested and prepare to self-isolate for 14 days – this may affect your ability to work during that 14 day period
  • Prepare for delays to border checkpoints.


Before 11:59 pm on 1 January 2021

After 11:59 pm on 1 January 2021

Green Zone

Must get tested and self-isolate at home for 14 days

The border is closed between NSW and Victoria, except to border bubble communities

Blue Mountains City Council and Wollongong City Council

Must not enter Victoria unless with an exemption letter

Must not enter Victoria unless with an exemption letter

Greater Sydney, Northern Beaches or the Central Coast

Must not enter Victoria unless with an exemption letter

Must not enter Victoria unless with an exemption letter

Border Bubble crossing 
The one exception to the above is if you live in the ‘Border Bubble’ zone either side of the NSW/Victoria border and need to travel across the border regularly for work and other activities.
If you hold photographic identification with a residential address within the local government areas below, you can cross the border without a permit.

  • Alpine Valleys 
  • Benalla 
  • Bendigo 
  • Buloke 
  • Campaspe 
  • East Gippsland 
  • Gannawarra 
  • Indigo 
  • Loddon 
  • Mildura 
  • Moira 
  • Shepparton 
  • Swan Hill 
  • Towong 
  • Wangaratta 
  • Wodonga 
  • Yarriambiack 

New South Wales 

  • Albury City 
  • Balranald 
  • Bega Valley 
  • Berrigan 
  • Broken Hill 
  • Edward River 
  • Federation 
  • Greater Hume  
  • Hay 
  • Lockhart 
  • Murray River 
  • Murrumbidgee 
  • Snowy Monaro 
  • Snowy Valleys 
  • Wagga Wagga 
  • Wentworth 

Please be aware this only applies when you live in one of these areas. If you’re a Victorian who has been holidaying in one of these areas you will still need to be back in Victoria by 11:59 pm on Friday, 1 January, get tested and self-isolate for 14 days.
Also, be aware that you cannot enter Victoria if you live in a local government area that is exempt from requiring a permit, but you have visited, been in, or travelled through Northern Beaches, Greater Sydney, Coast, Wollongong or the Blue Mountains since 11 December or the last 14 days (whichever is later). If this is the case, you are required to isolate or quarantine in the State of New South Wales and follow New South Wales Health's advice.
If you have been in these areas and are already in Victoria, please self-isolate and immediately contact the Department of Health and Human Services on 1800 675 398.