Please be reminded that on Friday 26 November 2021, the new Revision 16 of the COVID-19 Building and Construction Industry Guidelines were released and are currently in effect.
The new Guidelines can be accessed here.
The new Guidelines comprise several key changes and updates, in accordance with recent developments within our industry and easing of restrictions, including:
- It is no longer required to wear a face mask at work, inside or outside. However, it is still required under the Workplace Directions for workers to carry a face mask (refer to the Guidelines for employer obligations regarding the supply of face masks).
Note: Face masks are also still required for indoor retail areas, public transport, hospitals, aged care facilities, etc.
- Density quotations are no longer required in relation to room capacities or enclosed work areas, however, reconfiguring common areas such as lunchrooms to ensure workers are always remaining 1.5 metres apart is still recommended in the Workplace Directions.
- COVID Marshals are no longer required.
- Working in dedicated groups (bubbles) is no longer required.
- Employers must continue to screen the health of workers and confirm their vaccination status when entering worksites.
- Employers must continue to display and ensure the use of the Service VIC QR Code.
- Employers must continue to use a record-keeping system for workplace mapping (preferably digital).
- Adequate airflow and ventilation must be ensured across all areas, including amenities.
- Shared spaces must still be cleaned on a regular basis, including frequently touched surfaces, toilets, and handrails at least twice per day (refer to the Guidelines for detailed guidance on best hygiene practices).
- Employers must continue to update (according to updated regulations) and maintain a compliant COVIDSafe Plan covering: Service VIC QR Code, screening workers coming on site, workplace mapping, physical distancing, density quotients, hygiene, shared tools, plant, and equipment, cleaning and disinfecting (including display of cleaning logs), personnel hoists, Personal Protective Equipment and face masks, common areas, inspections, travel and leaving site, general communications, vulnerable workers, temperature screening.
- Employers are still required to notify both WorkSafe and the Department of Health of a positive COVID-19 case, and procedures for managing a positive case are to remain in place.
Reminder on Vaccination Requirements
Members are to be reminded of the vaccination requirements for workers, which are currently in effect:
- Remember that all workers entering a construction site must be fully vaccinated by having their second COVID-19 vaccination – this became mandatory from 13 November 2021 (exceptions apply for persons that hold a medical certificate exemption issued by an authorised medical practitioner).
- Remember that all workers doing repair and maintenance work (not on a construction site) must be fully vaccinated by having their second COVID-19 vaccination – this became mandatory from 26 November 2021 (exceptions apply for persons that hold a medical certificate exemption issued by an authorised medical practitioner).
- Outdoor maintenance, repairs, and cleaning, including at occupied premises.
- Outdoor home installations.
- Home solar panel installations that involve outdoor work or in roof cavities with external access.
- Critical repairs to any premises where required for emergency or safety.
- Support your workers to get vaccinated – it is our way out of this pandemic. To book an appointment, visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au or call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398.
The Vaccination Status Register template can be accessed here.
Please be reminded that the MBV team is here to support you. If you have any questions, please call us on (03) 9411 4555 for assistance.