The Premier today announced that the wearing of face masks/coverings will now be mandatory across Victoria as of 11:59pm, Sunday 2 August. Previously this rule was in place for Metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, but now it will apply to all Victorians.
For all in Victoria, face masks will be mandatory on building sites, as DHHS has termed, ‘whenever practical’. This means:
- Wearing face masks is compulsory on work sites (unless you have a valid reason not to)
- In our industry, scarves and bandanas will not be permitted (for safety reasons)
- The term ‘face mask’ includes cloth masks and single-use face masks (commonly called surgical masks). Both masks are suitable for use to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Cloth masks are any nose and mouth covering made of washable fabric. We recommend a cloth mask made of three layers of a mix of breathable fabrics to ensure adequate protection
- For some onsite activities, wearing a face mask may be impractical or introduce an additional hazard. Existing PPE such as welding helmets and disposable face shields could provide suitable protection, providing they are properly designed to cover the sides of the face and below the chin. Reusable PPE should be cleaned and disinfected after each use. Disposable face shields should only be worn for single use. Upon removal of this PPE, people should have a face mask available
- While masks are mandatory onsite, masks are also mandatory for those travelling on public transport to work or in a vehicle with others.
- Regulations on wearing face masks and observing physical distancing must also be practised on lunch, tea and smoko breaks.
To ensure we keep our industry safe and open it is essential that we all observe all government directives and operate in accordance with the Industry Guidelines.
Below are the most up to date industry guidelines, advice and signage to download. We will be updating these over the next 24 hours, but for the time being where masks are being referred to as Metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire this now applies to all of Victoria.
- COVID-19 resources page
- Full Industry Guidelines, Version 6 (28 July)
- Download signage for mandatory face masks on site
- FAQs regarding face masks in our industry
Our team is here to help. If you have questions about how to apply these guidelines in your workplace, please call our OHS team on (03) 9411 4555.