The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is in the process of creating a new Building Activity Management System (BAMS), a new online system for the application and issuing of building permits, commencing on 1 July 2019.
The introduction of BAMS corresponds with the recent changes to section 18AA of the Building Act 1993, which is to be effective as of the 1 July 2019.
The new changes are:
- The relevant building surveyor, on accepting an application for a building permit, is required to apply to the VBA for a building permit number
- The application must:
- be in a form approved by the VBA, and
- include an estimate of the cost of building work and an estimate of the building permit levy, and payable
- include the prescribed information
- The relevant building surveyor is able to consider an application for a building permit while waiting for the issuing of the building permit number by the VBA.
These changes mean that from 1 July 2019, the VBA will issue a building permit number only to the relevant building surveyor and the subsequent building permit once:
- The building permit levy is paid
- Information required in the form is provided
- Any information as required by the Building Regulations is provided.
As such, these changes mean that the relevant Building Surveyor is no longer able to issue a building permit without going through the above process.
It is extremely important that the information provided to the relevant building surveyor when lodging an application for a building permit is fully completely detailed and includes the prescribed information and cost of building work .
The Building Act does include prescribed time frames for the VBA to process an application for a building permit number; it is likely that this process may cause some delays for building permit applications to be issued by the relevant building surveyor.